From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ARGH I uninstalled python
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 23:35:00
1 On 24 May 2009, at 21:41, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:22:05 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Not exactly, buildsyspkg does the same as it always did, but @system
6 >>> has changed. This cold have happened at any time as there was
7 >>> never a
8 >>> need for python to be in @system,because it's a dependency of
9 >>> portage.
10 >>
11 >> That may well be the way it IS, but it certainly is not the way it
12 >> SHOULD BE. The only sane way to do this is:
13 >>
14 >> if (pkgmgr=portage)
15 >> python in @system
16 >> else
17 >> python !in system
18 >> end
19 >
20 > That's not particularly sane, because it addresses only one special
21 > case,
22 > others may arise. IMO the sane approach, as I said some posts
23 > ago, is for buildsyspkg to build packages for everything in @system
24 > and
25 > their dependencies. If you can't do "emerge -eK @system", buildsyspkg
26 > has failed to do anything useful.
27
28 +1
29
30 You have saved me replying to Alan's post.
31
32 One could write a package manager in Perl. As it stands Portage would
33 warn you against uninstalling "Perltage", but not Perl itself, a hard
34 dependency of that package manager. Clearly this should be fixed.
35
36 Stroller.