From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI boot [FIXED]
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 11:37:06
1 On Friday, 25 October 2019 16:33:07 BST Mick wrote:
2
3 > If you intend to have a list of available OS kernels displayed for you to
4 > choose from at boot time, then you need a Boot Manager (eLILO, GRUB,
5 > systemd- boot, et al.) and will *have* to follow the respective Boot
6 > Manager's conventions regarding its configuration and storage/naming of
7 > kernel images.
8
9 That's the key. It's clear that I haven't understood what was going on until
10 now. Mind you, I've not been helped by the plethora of mutually contradictory
11 wiki and other articles purporting to guide me through the boot process - for
12 instance, should my boot partition (FAT32) be mounted on /efi, /boot or
13 /boot/efi? All are recommended in various places. Mine is on /boot.
14
15 To sum up: I didn't need efibootmgr at all, except to remove an entry I'd
16 created before. I did need bootctl from sys-boot/systemd-boot, and I had to
17 'bootctl install' it without any configuration files under /boot. I also
18 needed a machine ID in /etc/machine-id, without which 'bootctl install'
19 refused to do anything.
20
21 The procedure was:
22
23 1. Format /dev/nvme0n1p2 as FAT32 and mount it on /boot.
24 2. Build and install the kernel.
25 3. Run bootctl install.
26 4. Write /boot/loader/loader.conf, and suitable .conf files under
27 /boot/loader/entries.
28
29 That still left an empty /boot/<machine-id> directory. I may risk removing it
30 some time.
31
32 I've assembled some notes on my /boot contents, attached.
33
34 > PS. Happy to discuss specifics off-list if you think this is less of a
35 > Gentoo issue.
36
37 Thanks Mick; that's generous. For the moment though I think I needn't trouble
38 You. :)
41 Regards,
42 Peter.

boot.contents text/x-matlab