From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -D pulling in more than it should these days?!
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 01:24:18
1 On Friday 29 September 2006 01:32, Daevid Vincent wrote:
2 > > Portage is developing quite fast at the moment so it is quite
3 > > possible that you have discovered some change in behaviour (either due to
4 > > a bug or due to permanent changes) but I don't see anything wrong in this
5 > > mail... What makes you think it pulls in more stuff than it should?
6 >
7 > I thought it was pretty obvious, but to summarize:
8 >
9 > emerge -av sys-apps/baselayout
10 >
11 > Is just that. The baselayout.
12 >
13 > But when I do
14 >
15 > emerge -Dav sys-apps/baselayout
16 >
17 > It pulls in baselayout, python, perl, openssl (clearly the last two are not
18 > needed or related to baselayout)
19
20 Sorry, that's not clear at all. If you add --tree you will see that they are
21 in fact deep dependencies of baselayout (at least given your choice of use
22 flags).
23
24 [SNIP]
25 > On my older Gentoo server, typing either of the first two work exactly as
26 > expected and only pull in the single package.
27
28 So you want `emerge -av` to be the same as `emerge -Dav`? I guess I just don't
29 see the point...
30
31 > So in summary, -D is acting like an implied -u (or something to that
32 > effect).
33
34 Yes, and the man page states what it does in conjunction with -u. It says
35 nothing about what it should do without -u. So what should it do and why?
36
37 [SNIP]
38
39 I do think you are correct in that there has been a change of behaviour,
40 however, I think it's intended and unless you can convince the devs to change
41 this, I think this falls in the category of permanent changes.
44 Bo Andresen