From: glen martin <lists@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mail to this list from home fails, but from home relayed through ISP works
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 17:38:48
1 Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On 09 May 2006 15:40, glen martin wrote:
3 >
4 >> This isn't the case of subscribing through work and sending from home or
5 >> whatever. In both cases I sent from home, indeed from the same account
6 >> in the same mail client. Only the path the message took to
7 >> list.gentoo.org changed.
8 >>
9 >> I hadn't posted to this for quite a while until recently. When I did so
10 >> again a few days ago, the message hung up in my outgoing queue and I got
11 >> this message in the log:
12 >>
13 >> May 7 16:09:56 texada postfix/smtp[23864]: 7D46150B55:
14 >> to=<gentoo-user@l.g.o>,
15 >> relay=lists.gentoo.org[140.105.134.102], delay=15242, status=deferred
16 >> (host lists.gentoo.org[140.105.134.102] said: 421 4.4.1 collect: read
17 >> timeout on connection from m198-163.dsl.rawbw.com,
18 >> from=<lists@××××××××.org> (in reply to end of DATA command))
19 >>
20 > Many MTAs refuse to relay messages from dial-up or DSL connections - and
21 > rightly so. Just use your ISP's SMTP server as a smarthost.
22 >
23 I should certainly expect that for a relay, in which I address a message
24 to a name not only the MX, but does a mailing list count as a relay?
25 Certainly this is the only mailing list I've encountered to-date with
26 such a restriction, and I participate in several. And while I totally
27 get this for dial-up, my DSL has a static IP - I've had this number
28 longer than many companies in this post-dot-bomb world.
29
30 Indeed I can use my ISP as a smarthost, and in fact am currently doing
31 so out of necessity. It just bothers me. Privacy is not enhanced by
32 having my mail sitting on servers neither I nor the recipient control,
33 and while I don't want any particular privacy for messages to this list,
34 sending all my mail through the smarthost seems wrong.
35
36 Per-destination smarthost? Blech. :)
37
38 I apologise if I sound grumpy about this issue, and do thank you for the
39 response.
40
41 glen
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list