From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] 2.6.19-r5 kernel disaster
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 03:08:17
1 Hi group,
2
3 After running make menuconfig 4x on a PIII,
4 re-emerging --emptytree world and either booting to a
5 highly unstable system or a maintenance login I feel
6 it's time to call on the authorities.
7
8 Don't even have gpm so I can't scroll the choice bits
9 of the boot messages.
10
11 It all starts to fall apart on the following line in
12 the boot console
13
14 * Starting udev...
15
16 then
17
18 udevd[367]: init_udevd socket: error getting socket:
19 Address family not supported by protocol
20 error initializing udevd socket
21 udevd[367]: main: error initializing udevd socket [!!]
22 <...>
23 * Checking root filesystem...
24 Failed to open the device '/dev/hda3': No such file or
25 directory
26
27 * Filesystem couldn't be fe fixed :( [!!]
28 Give root password for maintenance
29
30 /dev/hda3 is reiserfs and reiserfs support is
31 configured into the kernel as is ATA and IDE support.
32 /etc/fstab is the same one(modified for different
33 partitioning systems, of course) I've been using for
34 years. /etc/fstab is not the problem.
35
36 Yes, I did this:
37
38 File systems --->
39 Pseudo filesystems --->
40 [*] /proc file system support
41 [*] Virtual memory file system support (former shm
42 fs)
43
44 And have baselayout-1.12.9.
45
46 When I chroot from the livecd(2005.1) everything seems
47 to work; the modules all load, the software works etc.
48
49 So, I'm at a complete loss.
50
51 FWIW, when I do boot the maintenance console and run
52 udevstart the system crashes forcing a reset.
53
54 -mw
60 Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels
61 in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel to find your fit.
62 http://farechase.yahoo.com/promo-generic-14795097
63 --
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list