From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot btrfs
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2015 15:25:52
1 On Sunday 02 August 2015 09:11:18 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday 31 July 2015 13:53:42 Dale wrote:
3 > > This may not be related but thought I would mention. For some reason,
4 > > my system will not boot a kernel newer than 3.18.7. I use
5 > > gentoo-sources and generally use make oldconfig. I have also tried the
6 > > new 4.0 kernels as well. They try to boot but don't make it past the
7 > > kernel trying to do its thing. I don't reboot often so I have not had
8 > > the chance to figure out exactly why this is happening. Recently I had
9 > > to start using that pesky init thingy but I don't think that is causing
10 > > the problem. I get a error/panic and then it says it is going to
11 > > reboot in 10 seconds. By the time I figure out where the failure might
12 > > be, it reboots itself.
13 >
14 > That could well be it, Dale. I tried both my currently installed kernels,
15 > 3.18.16 and 4.0.5, but of course they're both later than 3.18.7. I'd still
16 > like to get this working, so I'll install an earlier kernel and try that -
17 > when I've had a bit of a rest!
18
19 Nope. That wasn't it. Two more days of wrestling later I still haven't got it
20 to boot. I have to conclude that this BIOS is simply incapable of it, or I've
21 missed a kernel setting despite hours of poring over the config.
24 Rgds
25 Peter