From: Ghaith Hachem <blacksadness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lost partition table [SOLVED]
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 07:45:46
1 ok problem solved, the partion deleted was ext3 i must have clicked
2 install without paying attention to the format partion dialog in the
3 installer anyway i used
4 http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk and it recovered my data
7 On 3/9/06, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
8 > On Thursday 09 March 2006 00:52, "Ghaith Hachem" <blacksadness@×××××.com>
9 > wrote about '[gentoo-user] lost partition table':
10 > > help, it seems the gentoo installer deleted my home partition
11 >
12 > For some reason, I doubt that, unless you told it to.
13 >
14 > > fdisk don't show it what can i do?
15 > > is there a way to restore it
16 >
17 > Well, you can just re-create it if you have the exact starting cylinder and
18 > upper bound on the ending cylinder (you can always make it w/ extra space
19 > on the end, at least temporarily).
20 >
21 > Without that information, you'll have to look for the filesystem superblock
22 > (I hope you weren't using NTFS), determine what cylinder that's on and
23 > start the partition there -- you can probably figure out the size of the
24 > filesystem from the superblock data, too.
25 >
26 > This is, of course, assuming you haven't written any data to the space used
27 > by the filesystem. In that case, you will almost certainly be unable to
28 > perform a full restore and have likely lost a large amount of your data,
29 > if not all.
30 >
31 > --
32 > "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
33 > it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
34 > clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
35 > -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
36 > --
37 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
43 Cheers,
44 Ghaith