From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI kernel installation?
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 20:17:08
1 On Sunday, 16 June 2019 18:00:12 BST Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 6/15/19 7:04 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 --->8
4 > > My question is: how much of the bootctl-installed image is essential
5 > > for booting? In other words, if I install the ~amd64 kernel (5.1.9),
6 > > what effect will that have on booting the rescue system; and if
7 > > I install the amd64 kernel (4.19.44), what effect will it have on
8 > > booting the plasma system?
9 >
10 > I think it largely depends on where things are installed to.
11 >
12 > Do the different installs share a common /boot? Or do they have
13 > separate /boot partitions?
14 >
15 > I assume the other file systems are separate e.g. / (root), /home.
16
17 The two systems share a /boot partition but are otherwise separate: nothing is
18 common to the two systems.
19
20 > > In practice, I install the ~amd64 kernel and hope it doesn't affect
21 > > the rescue system too much; and it seems not to. Could I do better?
22 >
23 > I don't know if it's better or not, but here's what I'd do.
24 >
25 > · I'd put each OS on it's own drive (if at all possible).
26 > · I'd have a separate /boot and / (root) for each OS.
27 > · I'd configure UEFI boot menu entries for each OS.
28
29 The main drive is a 256GB NVMe, with no spare slots for a second. I do have a
30 couple of ordinary SSDs in RAID-1 for data, but they're not significant here.
31 I could have separate boot partitions, but I haven't found a need yet. I do
32 have separate UEFI boot entries.
33
34 My point is that they boot different versions of the kernel, and I wondered
35 what risk that involved, since the image installed in the UEFI space cannot be
36 the same in the two cases. Mick seems to have answered that.
37
38 > That way, the only thing that's common between the OSs is the hardware
39 > and the UEFI. They are separate from the time that UEFI boot menu onward.
40 >
41 > I recommend the separate drives so that you can use the OS on the other
42 > drive to deal with a drive hardware issue.
43 >
44 > I /might/ be compelled to try to leverage the two drives for some swap
45 > optimization. I'd probably have a minimal amount of swap on the same
46 > drive as the OS and more swap on the other drive. That way each OS has
47 > some swap in the event that the other drive fails, yet still has more
48 > swap if the other drive is happy. So you benefit from the 2nd drive
49 > without being completely dependent on it.
50
51 Ah, swap. I have a 2GB swap partition near the beginning of the drive, pri=8,
52 and a 16GB one near the end, pri=4. The latter is supposed to cope with huge
53 compilations like chromium. (I tried USE=jumbo-build recently but it ground to
54 a silent halt. I haven't spent time yet investigating why.)
55
56 To answer another point, I keep most of my user stuff in its own partition
57 mounted under ~/common. I've done that for many years, since the days before
58 I settled on a permanent distro. I didn't want, say, SuSE fighting with Gentoo
59 for rights to my data. Both backups and general flexibility benefit from this
60 arrangement.
63 Regards,
64 Peter.