From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Powering down the USB controller
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 05:25:49
1 >> I'm trying to get a USB sound card to behave in a certain way which
2 >> requires it to think the computer has gone to sleep. I'm told the
3 >> specific signal the sound card looks for is if the USB controller has
4 >> been physically powered down. Should I unload a kernel module to
5 >> accomplish this, or do I need to actually put the computer into sleep
6 >> mode?
7 >
8 > I don't think you can turn USB port off, at best you can suspend it,
9 > which is not truly 100% powered-down. I think you might be able to
10 > power off an entire hub (and never power it back on again until
11 > reboot) but I'm not sure if that will be any better than just
12 > unplugging the cable. You might be able to build some kind of simple
13 > USB on/off switch. :)
14 >
15 > Check out /sys/bus/usb/devices/[yourdevice]/power/level for current
16 > status and you can echo different commands to that same file to
17 > attempt to change its status. Check out the power management settings
18 > and documentation in the linux kernel for your options.
19
20 Will do, thanks Paul.
21
22 - Grant