From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: why does Udisks require Lvm2 ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 13:33:06
1 On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:46:55 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 08:36:50 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >
6 > > > > > Which is why the USE flag exists, to avoid installing LVM.
7 > > > >
8 > > > > But it's not supported.
9 > > >
10 > > > In what way. I've just tried emerging lvm2 with
11 > > > USE="device-mapper-only -thin" and it installed the device-mapper
12 > > > stiff but none of the lvm executables, which seems to be exactly
13 > > > what is wanted.
14 > >
15 > > use.local.desc:sys-fs/lvm2:device-mapper-only - Build only
16 > > device-mapper and not the rest of LVM2 (UNSUPPORTED)
17 >
18 > Aha!
19 >
20 > So the choice is between an unsupported configuration or installing a
21 > handful of binaries that you will never use. Unless space was an
22 > issue, there's about 6NB difference, I'd go with the latter, although
23 > UNSUPPORTED != DOESNOTWORK
24
25 My guess is that 'unsupported' in this case means upstream won't bother
26 to make sure the partial installation will continue to work. If it
27 ever does break, I'd expect the Gentoo maintainers to force the flag
28 off.