From: Lee <ny6p01@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] New Gnome Systemd Upgrade Question
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 23:56:50
1 Hi, I installed Gentoo a long time ago with the desktop/gnome profile set.
2 Now, I don't use gnome (i use fluxbox). However since I have the use tags,
3 many gnome libraries were pulled in over time.
4
5 Now, since the upgrade to gnome 3.8, Portage updates result in a conflict
6 because the gnome libs need systemd, which conflicts with udev.
7
8 Instead of making the switch to systemd, I decided to change my profile to
9 plain desktop (no gnome). Since I don't have gnome desktop, it was
10 relatively simple for the system to update itself.
11
12 My only questions are, will cups and hplip function in a 'gnomeless'
13 system, and are there any other gotchas to be aware of?