From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issue 3 - CD Playing
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 03:54:51
1 On 10/18/11 21:07, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Colleen Beamer
3 > <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > <SNIP>
5 >>>> cdda is one of my USE flags. I have tried upgrading phonon-gstreamer
6 >>>> 'cause I read somewhere that the problem might be with phonon.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Any ideas?
9 >>>>
10 >>> Have you Googled extensively on that error message? It seems that
11 >>> there are a lot of people that have had it and most of the forum
12 >>> threads I looked at seemed to have either some suggestions or possibly
13 >>> answers.
14 >> Yes, I have googled for much of today. There are a lot of responses,
15 >> but I tried to stick to one where it was related to gentoo. Like I
16 >> said, there is a symlink that links cdrom to sr0. One of the things I
17 >> found when I googled said that they made a symlink to sr0 from cdrom.
18 >> That didn't make sense to me so. I didn't try it.
19 >>
20 >> Another post suggested that there was a problem with phonon. Hence, I
21 >> emerge an upgrade (albeit unstable) to phonon-gstreamer. In honesty,
22 >> one thing I didn't try was writing a udev rule that was suggested.
23 >> Call me stubborn, but I've never had to write a rule to get an audio
24 >> CD to play before so, I will only do that as a last resort.
25 >>
26 >> I've tried to stay away from posts that were back in 2003 and 2004
27 >> 'cause they may not be relevant now.
28 >>
29 >> The line in my fstab is:
30 >>
31 >> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user 0 0
32 >>
33 >> Maybe I should have said /dev/sr0?
34 >>
35 >> I may have to keep plugging, but thought I would post in case anyone
36 >> else has encountered this problem.
37 >>
38 > Sorry. I'm not picking on you. Maybe it sounded that way. I apologize if it did.
39 >
40 > Along the lines of what Dale suggested is your user account part of
41 > the audio group?
42 I responded to this via Dale's post, but yes, I did! :-) Like I told
43 Dale, this was one thing that bit me in the butt a few times when I was
44 more of a "newbie". :-)
45 >
46 > Again, my apologies if I ticked you off. I do that sometimes. :-) ;-)
47
48 You certainly *did not* tick me off. I was just explaining. Sorry if
49 you perceived that I was angry. I just wanted to let you know that I
50 had put in some effort myself before "asking for a handout".
51
52 I could never get angry at anyone on this list - everyone has always
53 been very helpful when I needed it. I may get frustrated, but at a
54 situation, not at a person directly.
55
56 Colleen
60 Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org