From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] webkit-gtk build failure and masking confusion
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 01:09:48
1 On Sat, Feb 17 2018, John Blinka wrote:
2
3 > Hi, all,
4 >
5 > A recent update demanded that I rebuild webkit-gtk-2.4.11-r200.
6 > Unfortunately I cannot get this package to rebuild.
7 >
8 > In my experience, this particular version of webkit-gtk has always
9 > been a very fragile build. I've put way too much time into wrestling
10 > with it and I'd like to get rid of it. There's a newer version:
11 > webkit-gtk-2.18.6, which builds with no problems.
12 >
13 > The only package on my system that needs webkit-gtk is gnucash. All
14 > of the stable ebuilds for gnucash contain this line
15 > >=net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.2:2
16 > And all of the versions of webkit-gtk in portage satisfy this condition.
17
18 I am in the same situation and I believe a number of other are as well.
19 The old webkit-gtk is approaching end-of-life and the new gnucash that
20 uses the new webkit-gtk is (they say) soon to become gentoo stable.
21
22 NOTE. The new gnucash uses a new database format so you should back up
23 your old database before updating gnucash (see the news item).
24
25 I am waiting for the new gnucash to become stable (and will probably
26 wait a little more). I back up the gnucash database daily. I would be
27 quite put out if gnucash was unavailable for even a modest time period.
28
29 What I do in the meantime is
30
31 emerge --update --pretend @world
32
33 and then manually
34
35 emerge -1 all packages mentioned except webkit-gtk
36
37 I do a similar procedure for
38
39 emerge @preserved rebuild