From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage Storage using SVN
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 23:39:03
1 On 7/23/06, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 02:42:43 -0600, Trenton Adams wrote:
3 >
4 > > Let's say openldap had a problem. So, we decide to mask the latest
5 > > version of openldap, in an effort to roll back to the version that was
6 > > working. Well, we find out that openldap still does not work. So, we
7 > > finally determine that it is library W. So, now we mask library W, in
8 > > an attempt to roll back to the version that was working. Oh no, now
9 > > we find out that library W is used by 20 other packages, that require
10 > > the latest version of library W in order to work. So, now we have to
11 > > mask library W, and 20 packages in order to get our openldap system
12 > > functional, assuming you cared about the 20 other broken packages,
13 > > which may break other packages, which may break yet other packages.
14 > >
15 > > Wouldn't it be nice to just go "emerge --revert-portage", which goes
16 > > back to the last exported copy of the portage, that you had from
17 > > subversion? Boy, would that ever be convenient. It would be simple
18 > > enough to store a local history of portage tags that the user was
19 > > using in the past.
20 >
21 > Wouldn't that revert the whole of portage, not just the parts affecting
22 > ldap, W and the rest? All of a sudden emerge world wants to downgrade
23 > previously upgraded programs, some of which may have been updated for
24 > security reasons. This means the user has to go through the Changelogs,
25 > ebuild and package.mask to find out why they are being downgraded and
26 > whether to apply the downgrade. this would be far more work that package
27 > masking a few updates dependent on W, which could probably be scripted.
28
29 Yes, it would revert the whole portage, and that would be desired, so
30 as to be up quickly. It could potentially take hours to figure out
31 which packages are being affected by a broken updated package.
32
33 But, perhaps it would be better to write a utility that will downgrade
34 a package, as well as all dependencies. Or does this already happen
35 when you downgrade?
38 > --
39 > Neil Bothwick
40 >
41 > BASIC: Bill's Attempt to Seize Industry Control
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list