From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage GUI interfaces...
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 06:03:53
1 chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
2 > BRM wrote:
3 >
4 >> I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage, preferably for KDE4.
5 >> Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to resolve.
6 >>
7 >> In googling, I noticed Kuroo, but it's no longer maintained (nearly 2 years out of date now, so it would have to have been KDE3) so it's been understandably removed from mainline portage - though I also noticed information on a Kuroo overlay.
8 >>
9 >> And I also came across Porthole; however, all versions are marked Unstable/Testing (~) at the moment.
10 >>
11 >> Can anyone give some advice on these or others?
14 >> Ben
20 > In the case that there is not a GUI tool, why not run as root # tail -f
21 > /var/log/emerge.log
22 >
23 > It tells you what is being installed at present
24 >
25 > Another, to see what you are downloading is # tail -f
26 > /var/log/emerge-fetch.log
27 >
28 > Good Luck :)
32 Another good tool is genlop. Just type in genlop -c and it will tell
33 you what is emerging, what number the package is and the estimated times
34 as well. What number the package is looks something like this:
35 emerging #4 of 8 packages. That tells you it is on package 4 out of 8
36 that will be emerged. The estimated time only works if the package has
37 been emerged at least once before.
38
39 Sorry, it is command line. It appears you have already discovered about
40 everything else. lol
41
42 Dale
43