From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-box stopping services
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:55:53
1 On Thursday 22 April 2010 18:24:08 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 22.04.2010 17:50, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 > >> Shouldn't the kernel *swap* then ?
4 > >
5 > > No, the OOM killer kicks in when the kernel has no more virtual memory,
6 > > including swap. Either way, more RAM is the answer. Or fidn the app with
7 > > the memory leak if you are unlucky enough to have one of those running
8 > > around.
9 >
10 > The added swapfile with one GB won't help here for a start?
11
12 It will certainly help. If your core problem is simply not enough RAM, then 1G
13 more might be all you need. You'd have to run checks and do some monitoring to
14 see if performance is affected.
15
16 I haven't followed the full thread so I don't know what you are running; and
17 some daemons perform really badly if they have to touch swap. Apache for
18 example, a busy MTA for another - disks are thousands of times slower than
19 RAM, so if a webserver has to swap memory back in from disk, it almost
20 instantly brings the server to a grinding halt.
21
22 On my web and mail servers I have no swap at all, they do have lots and lots
23 of RAM; my Sybase database servers have enormous amounts of swap. Each server
24 has been profiled so it is set up to be as close to ideal as I can determine.
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com