From: jormaa <juggernautfin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is an Intel motherboard RAID better or worse than software RAID?
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 05:31:55
1 Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
2 > Hi,
5 > OK - nearly everyone here (and at work, too) told me to forget the
6 > onboard fake raid controller. So this is what I will do :-)
7 > The RAID-Howto as well as the LVM howto are however woefully out of
8 > date. I will try to work with the linux-raid website's info.
9 >
10 > Basically I plan to do:
11 > - Put the boot partition on a RAID1
12 > - Put the root partition on another RAID1 (I thought about putting the
13 > root filesystem into my LVM setup, too -- it is REALLY annoying if the
14 > root partition get's to small),
15 > but it seems safer to let root be an own partition. Or are there any
16 > different opinions here? I'm very interested in hearing experiences...
17 > - Build a RAID1 partition for the rest of the system (will be a LVM2
18 > container)
19 > - Build a last RAID0 partition for scratch data (/tmp, /var/tmp,
20 > /usr/portage, scratch data).
21 >
22 > Any comments? Obviously insane? :-) Don't think so.
23 > - Wolfgang
27 Likewhoa has a nice writedown of raid and LVM2 on gentoo forums
28 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-702681-highlight-likewhoa+recipe.html?sid=e9df56d90808ed712323ca693936a004.
29
30 Using that it should be easy enough to adjust to your needs.
31
32 Greets jormaa