From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for yoursystem' -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:44:51
1 El Mie, 4 de Febrero de 2009, 16:39, Prado, Renato (R.P.) escribió:
2 >> My question can be put like this: Do binary distro's per package
3 >> optimiziations override the benefit of having arch specific
4 >> optimiziations that gentoo allows?
5 > Thinking about that... I guess a could future for future portage
6 > releases would be a USE flag the overrides the system's CFLAGS (besides
7 > -march) to what the package maintainer recommends. This would be
8 > interesting for processor-intensive stuff, like ffmpeg for example. This
9 > would also allow users to try some more dangerous flags only for packages
10 > were they are known to be safe.
11
12 Unless you mean a different thing, that can be achieved and
13 is already done in some packages. For example, mplayer has a
14 USE flag called custom-cflags which freely allow you to break
15 it as much as you want.
16
17 And if an ebuild bothers you filtering flags, you can always overlay
18 it and remove the filters. If you can't do that, you definitely
19 don't qualify to break your CFLAGS.
23 Jesús Guerrero