From: Antoine <melser.anton@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 4gb mpeg to 100mb xvid?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 19:12:39
1 Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hi people,
6 >
7 > I was wondering, do you have any pointers to transcode an mpeg file to an xvid? The original is a
8 > +4gb file, and I need to create a good quality of aprox. 100mb xvid file.
9 >
10 > What are your suggestions? Any interesting sites to read about this? scripts? ebuilds? I've done
11 > some research in the area for the last two days, but I am definitely not a video guru, and many
12 > things I do not understand.
13
14 Unless the mpeg is mostly nothing at all (very little motion, no flames,
15 water, sky, textures, ...) then you will find it hard to get down to
16 100meg. Don't forget that mpeg2 (probably the format you have...) is
17 already compressed. Also don't forget that 1h30 of *audio* at 128kbps
18 (normal mp3/ogg quality) will take about 90-100meg. What you are asking
19 is pretty unrealistic. You could do it with mplayer or transcode but the
20 results will be horrific. For 1h30 mins you will be down to a very small
21 size, very low quality and barely discernable audio. Can you really only
22 go to 100meg? You might get something reasonable with 300meg if you play
23 around enough but otherwise I would say forget it.
24 Cheers
25 Antoine
26 ps. more info about the nature of the original could change everything
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list