From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is /tmp/jack busy?
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 20:35:36
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > Hi Paul,
4 > Yes, ls -al shown nothing is there.
5 >
6 > Actually, I think the root cause of this is a little different than
7 > I expected. /tmp/jack is actually something that's mounted:
8 >
9 > lightning ~ # df
10 > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
11 > <SNIP>
12 > none 508016 0 508016 0% /tmp/jack
13 >
14 > and the root cause of that is that it's in my fstab file:
15 >
16 > lightning ~ # cat /etc/fstab | grep jack
17 > none /tmp/jack tmpfs defaults 0 0
18 > lightning ~ #
19 >
20 > So, there are three directions to go:
21 >
22 > 1) Remove it from fstab and figure out what the repercussions of that
23 > action might be.
24
25 Well, it's a tmpfs, so it gets wiped on shutdown anyway. Anything that
26 needs the /tmp/jack directory will write to there whether a tmpfs is
27 mounted or not, so removing the fstab line wont have any consequences by
28 itself. If /tmp/jack gets removed by a boot script, and is actually
29 needed, the directory will most likely be recreated by whatever program
30 needs it. If not, you can always "mkdir /tmp/jack" long enough to fix
31 the program in question.
34 > 2) Understand why the Gentoo boot process want to wipe mounted
35 > directories in /tmp since it won't work.
36
37 I suspect the gentoo script is something simple like "if WIPE_TMP=YES,
38 then rm /tmp/*".
39
40 FHS recommends nothing in /tmp survive boot.
41 http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.15.html
42 It's bad practice to have a persistent mount point inside of /tmp or
43 /var/tmp.
44 If your /tmp is a tmpfs of some kind, then the above fstab entry is
45 redundant anyway.
46
47 The main (possible) problem is some program requires a directory/file to
48 exist in /tmp, but doesn't create that directory/file itself. Thats
49 just a plain stupid (programming) practice, so I doubt you'll run into
50 any issues with removing the fstab entry, and so on.
56 > I'm going to investigate #1 first as this is something that I think
57 > is left over from years ago, but maybe you or someone else has another
58 > idea.
59 >
60 > Thanks,
61 > Mark