From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev blocks systemd etc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:34:56
1 On 03/27/2013 10:33 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On 03/27/2013 10:25 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Ok...
4 >>
5 >> So, what is this all about?
6 >>
7 >> Does all of this mean that udev is now going *completely* away,
8 >> *totally* replaced by systemd?
9 >>
10 >> If so, has there been any kind of formal announcement about this
11 >> *anywhere*??
12 >
13 > Hold your horses.
14 >
15 > The devs will work something out; systemd is not replacing the udev
16 > package for all users. For the moment, it's just replacing the udev
17 > package for users using systemd.
18 >
19 > The problem at the moment is a spat between the systemd maintainer and
20 > the udev maintainer. They don't see eye to eye about which packages
21 > should be providing which files (and where), and there's also a serious
22 > miscommunication (and misinterpretation of historical communication)
23 > issue between the two of them at the moment. They're trying to get it
24 > worked out (via attempting cooperation or via arbitration, whatever is
25 > necessary), and things will settle down.
26 >
27 > In the mean time, if I read the context right, this issue should only
28 > affect people who are using systemd. This shouldn't be affecting people
29 > who aren't using systemd.
30
31 (incidentally, to anyone who's following the issue, please correct me if
32 I'm wrong...)