From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] sudo echo cannot write to /etc/ files ?
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:58:23
1 Hey, ho--
2
3 Here's (one of) today's non-critical problems that's getting on my
4 nerves, so hopefully somebody can help.
5
6 I've finally got around to setting up sudo. It works fine, except for
7 one thing.
8
9 I don't just give myself blanket permissions to sudo to all commands; I
10 made a Cmd_Alias group which includes a lot of utility apps. And, like
11 many of you, I included emerge in this group.
12
13 But a lot of the time, when I do an emerge -av, I find that there's a
14 USE flag I want or don't want for the package, or I want an unstable
15 version, or whatever, which means I have to echo to one of the files in
16 /etc/portage.
17
18 Echo is in the sudo-ed group, and echo isn't the problem-- the problem
19 is that permission is refused to write to the file itself (which is an
20 error *from* echo, so it would seem that echo itself is OK as far as
21 sudo goes). Which means that I have to su anyway, to echo to the file,
22 which really isn't the point of the exercise.
23
24 As I see it, this error can mean only one of two things:
25
26 sudo does not give me a login shell (so my UID is 'really' still my UID
27 and not root's, and I don't have permission to write to the file); or
28
29 there is another, "invisible" cli utility responsible for actually
30 writing to the file, which is not sudo-ed.
31
32 Or could it be something else?
33
34 In any case, does anybody know how I could fix this? It's really
35 screwing up my useability, which was just starting to shape up nicely :-) .
36
37 Thanks,
38 Holly
39 --