From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] E17 installation
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 21:18:01
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 19:54 on Sunday 28 November 2010, Mick did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > On Sunday 28 November 2010 17:01:22 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On more business matters, have the ebuilds in enlightenment overlay
6 > > successfully installed for you? And has the category for EFL's media libs
7 > > settled down? This business of media-libs vs x11-libs caused me huge
8 > > amounts of grief about a year ago....
9 >
10 > Yes, I remember the media-libs change. I thought it was more recent than
11 > that - doesn't time fly! I must have been lucky because I
12 > uninstalled/reinstalled affected packages and all was fine with my E17.
13 > Bear in mind though that I have not installed all modules - I tend to
14 > emerge only what I use/need regularly.
15 >
16 > This weekend I removed efl and added the enlightenment overlay. Then
17 > checked that the following packages were keyworded as -9999, which were
18 > (re)installed without any problems:[1]
19 >
20 > dev-libs/ecore
21 > dev-libs/e_dbus
22 > dev-libs/eet
23 > dev-libs/eina
24 > dev-libs/embryo
25 > dev-libs/efreet
26 > media-libs/edje
27 > media-libs/ethumb
28 > media-libs/evas
29 > x11-wm/enlightenment
30 > media-libs/emotion
31 > dev-libs/eeze
32
33 I did the same, it seems to work well, including the nice surprise of being
34 able to use composite with an OpenGL backend, *and* to be able to configure
35 windows so they don;t bounce all over the place when getting focus
36
37 > [1] In the process I had to uninstall some efl packages to avoid
38 > conflicts.
39 >
40 > I see that there are loads more packages in enlightenment overlay than what
41 > I have installed, but I am not sure if I need them (please let me know if
42 > you thing I'm missing out something basic). In time I will be trying more
43 > packages out no doubt.
44
45 EFL, e17 and the modules you use seem to be all that most folk will use. I
46 used to install everything in svn that would build successfully btu I never
47 used most of that stuff.
48
49 I do like winlist and itask. But the rest seems to have bitrot - some packages
50 still have etk and ewl in DEPEND (like epdf). I can't think of any killer
51 must-have apps beyond the basics.
52
53 > I also tried for a few days to switch away from -9999 and into the betas
54 > offered by the portage tree - then things got terribly messy and decided to
55 > stick with svn for now.
56
57 Same here. The overlay just is not ready for those yet
58
59 > So I think that the enlightenment overlay is usable, but as with all SVN
60 > things ... YMMV. ;-)
63 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com