From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --emptytree : how to ?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 11:25:44
1 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I think I'm in need of doing
4 > emerge --emptytree ...
5 > for the first time.
6 > Can I do it on a running Gentoo system?
7 > I expected it will take several days to complete.
8 > This poses some problems to me.
9 > First, I have to shut down my machine overnight.
10 > Second, I haven't made good experience with --keep-going
11 > nor with --resume.
12 > What can I do if 'emerge -e ...' fails by itself or because I have to
13 > shut my machine down?
14 >
15 > Many thanks for some hints,
16 > Helmut
21 I do this on occasion when some update makes things go weird.  I'll look
22 for anyone else having the issue and if not, then I do a emerge -e world
23 to see if it helps.
24
25 First, I have entries in make.conf to help make it so that it doesn't
26 affect what I'm doing.  I use ionice, -j and friends to do that.  I also
27 use --keep-going as well.  Generally, I can't tell it is doing
28 anything.  There is a few packages that it slows things down for a few
29 minutes.  It doesn't do it for the whole compile process, just a few
30 minutes of it.  Firefox, Libreoffice is two that I recall. I'll post
31 some of my make.conf items below.
32
33 Second, you can skip certain programs, large ones for example.  You can
34 for example add this:  --exclude libreoffice  That will let it skip
35 libreoffice but keep in mind, some dependencies may be skipped as well,
36 if nothing else depends on them.  I haven't tested that but that's my
37 thinking.  Maybe someone else has more ideas on that.
38
39 Third, I'm almost certain --resume works even after a reboot.  Just keep
40 in mind, if it was in the middle of a package compile, it likely will
41 start over from scratch.  That's my experience at least.
42
43 Some of my make.conf entries.  You may not need all of these so edit out
44 what you don't want or change values if you need to.  I have a four core
45 CPU.
46
47 FEATURES="-usersync -userpriv -usersandbox buildpkg sandbox parallel-fetch"
48
49 MAKEOPTS="-j5"
50
51 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --backtrack=100 --keep-going -v -j5
52 --quiet-build=n -1 --unordered-display"
53
54 PORTAGE_NICENESS=5
55
56 PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"
57
58 As for the command I use, emerge -ea world.  If you have to shutdown for
59 a while, once you reboot, try emerge --resume and see if it works.  It
60 should.  I've done it before but its been a good while back.
61
62 Hope that helps.
63
64 Dale