From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 20:31:09
1 On 19/08/2013 19:03, Yohan Pereira wrote:
2 > On 19/08/13 at 09:36pm, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> So why not a profile so those guys who want to play can get a
4 >> configuration that better suits them? - and vice versa if the whole
5 >> systemd push dies and Redhat drops it as I doubt anyone else big enough
6 >> will pick it up (they have a foot in both camps at the moment). Smaller
7 >> distros that jump entirely systemd will be in trouble until they move back.
8 >
9 > Not a systemd supporter in any way but I don't think making a profile
10 > makes sense because we already have profiles for kde, gnome, desktop
11 > etc. Users will probably want to use systemd in-conjunction with any one
12 > of those, so we would need to have kde-systemd, gnome-systemd .. which
13 > is absurd.
14 >
15 > At least I don't see a sane way to achieve it from my
16 > rudimentary understanding of profiles.
19 The only way it could be done is to have additive profiles, i.e. a
20 collection of possible profiles such as gnome, kde, openrc, systemd -
21 pick all that apply.
22
23 This very rapidly cascades into a total nightmare when one profile say
24 to include thing X and another says to exclude thing X. There's no sane
25 default handling for that, one has to install local policy that applies
26 a precedence rule.
27
28 USE=systemd is far better (ignoring for the moment the difficulties in
29 actually switching the service manager over)
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com