From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: DVI-D / HDMI / VGA adaptors
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 18:55:51
1 I ordered a Dell XPS 8940 which arrived in October, but life got in
2 the way, and I'm only now getting around to setting it up. First thing
3 I noticed today is that Dell "had the courage to remove the VGA port"
4 <G>. It has HDMI and Displayport. I've got two monitors for my PCs.
5 My main one has VGA/DVI/HDMI/Displayport inputs.
6
7 But I want to attach the XPS 8940 to the older monitor, which only has
8 VGA and DVI-D. I use the older monitor for setup/install and to keep
9 the "hot backup" machine up-to-date. What are my options? For the main
10 machine I'll buy an HDMI cable. Are there adapters that'll push HDMI
11 computer output into a monitor VGA or DVI-D input? That way I can buy
12 an HDMI cable plus an adaptor, rather than a new monitor. <G>
15 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
16 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications