From: Preston Hagar <prestonh@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Greylisting vs. reject_rbl_client
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 18:06:24
1 I think the thing you have to keep in mind is how strict you want to be. I
2 am in control of mail servers for three different "organizations", my
3 personal email, my consulting side business, and the real estate company I
4 work full time for. Each one has a varying degree of how acceptable false
5 positives are. For my personal email, I use the following settings:
6
7 smtpd_delay_reject = yes
8 smtpd_helo_required = yes
9 smtpd_helo_restrictions =
10 permit_mynetworks,
11 check_helo_access
12 hash:/etc/postfix/helo_access,
13 reject_non_fqdn_hostname,
14 reject_invalid_hostname,
15 permit
16
17 smtpd_sender_restrictions =
18 permit_sasl_authenticated,
19 permit_mynetworks,
20 reject_non_fqdn_sender,
21 reject_unknown_sender_domain,
22 permit
23
24 smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
25 reject_unauth_pipelining,
26 reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
27 reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
28 permit_mynetworks,
29 permit_sasl_authenticated,
30 reject_unauth_destination,
31 reject_rbl_client relays.ordb.org,
32 reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org,
33 reject_rbl_client sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org,
34 reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
35 reject_rbl_client dnsbl.njabl.org,
36 check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:60000
37 permit
40 The check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:60000 is for postgrey, a greylisting
41 service. Personally, I hate spam so much, I would rather block my own
42 mother's emails than get spam. The checks above with postgrey have brought
43 me from about 15-20 spam a day to 0 since I have had them in effect. On the
44 otherhand, for the real estate company I work for, some of these options are
45 not acceptable. Postgrey is not acceptable since many of our users expect
46 email to be "instant" I know there is no technical guarantee of this, but
47 they get upset no matter what if their emails take too long. Using postgrey
48 on my own personal server, I make it delay for 5 minutes. Most mail servers
49 will keep trying and I will get the message within 10-15 minutes max. I
50 have had a few times, though, that the mail took 4 or 5 hours before it was
51 tried again. A solution I use for this for my consulting business is to
52 whitelist all of my clients domains. With the real estate company, however,
53 there are too many different users working with too many different and new
54 companies to try and whitelist them all.
55
56 I actually do keep the rbls for all installations. I completely understand
57 and agree with the previous posters frustration with rbls. I have had the
58 same trouble myself. I have had our company be on spamhaus and spamcop and
59 different times in the last couple of years. It usually is a headache, but
60 in general, they are more good than harm. At the real estate company, I
61 have about 200 users that I can assure you would let me hear about it very
62 quickly if they were not getting their messages. So far, I have not had any
63 complaints using the rbls above.
64
65 Anyway, as I said before, you just have to find the proper balance for your
66 situation. If you or your company cannot afford to lose even one email, it
67 is probably best to put in very limited checks and use client-side filtering
68 with Junk mailboxes. If speed of delivery is important, greylisting is not
69 a good option. If you just want to stop the spam and it isn't the end of
70 the world if you lose a possibly legitimate mail, then try out my settings
71 above.
72
73 Hope this helps,
74