From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running HTTP and DNS on same machine
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:25:55
1 On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I currently use a free service to host the DNS records for my website,
3 > but I'm thinking of running a DNS server on the same machine that runs
4 > my website instead.  Would that be fairly trivial to set up and
5 > maintain?  If so, which package should I use?
6
7 ISC bind is the de facto standard for DNS servers. I haven't
8 administered bind on Gentoo, but on Debian, most of the problems I run
9 into come from how Debian packages and updates configuration files.
10
11 I'm not running DNS servers in any major production capacity; I've got
12 a bind server at home linking my home domain and my employer's work
13 domain across a VPN, and updated dynamically via a dhcpd on the same
14 server. It's also serving as a caching recursive resolver for my home
15 network, which was *really* necessary when I was still on AT&T. (The
16 DSL link was dropping packets every now and again, and it's a PITA
17 when that happens to DNS queries)
18
19 If you want to get into managing your own DNS, and if there was
20 anything in that previous sentence you're unfamiliar with, I highly
21 recommend O'Reilly's DNS & Bind: 5th Edition before you commit any of
22 your services to your own server.
23
24 http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596100575
27 :wq