From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stage tarballs
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:42:25
1 On Monday 16 April 2007, Jesús Guerrero <6thpink@×××××.es> wrote about 'Re:
2 [gentoo-user] Stage tarballs':
3 > El Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:54:49 +0300
4 >
5 > "Stratos Psomadakis" <el05007@×××××××××.gr> escribió:
6 > > can anyone explain to me what are the differences between the stage
7 > > 1,2 and 3 installation tarballs?ç
8 >
9 > They are three different stages of the same thing. Stage1 is a tarball
10 > which contains a basic minimal C compiler.
11
12 And, unless a fix has been discovered and applied, stage1 tarball doesn't
13 contain any information about what packages own what files, so starting
14 from stage 1 will leave a minimal amount of cruft in /usr (?and /var?).
15
16 IIRC, I started from stage 1 on my first install (2004.3), but I wouldn't
17 recommend anything other than stage 3 to anyone at this point, since
18 there's now an established procedure for changing your CHOST if need be,
19 and packages in system will eventually pick up any CFLAGS customizations
20 gradually.
23 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
24 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
25 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
26 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/