From: Boris Fersing <kernelsensei@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} GPG: pub & sec keys required to decrypt?
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 16:18:28
1 On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 18:09, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've been encrypting and decrypting email on the same remote server.
3 > I was under the impression that this was a security risk because it
4 > meant having the public and private keys on the same machine. I tried
5 > importing the public key to my local system and decrypting via
6 > enigmail but I got "Error - secret key needed to decrypt message". I
7 > imported the private key locally and now it decrypts fine, but I have
8 > both keys on the same system again.
9 >
10 > My understanding of GPG is weak. Can someone point out my misconception(s)?
11 >
12 Hi,
13
14 you need the recipient's public key to encrypt the message. This
15 message will be decrypted with the recipient's private key.
16
17 So if you encrypt something for yourself, you'll need your public key
18 to encrypt and your public key to decrypt.
19
20 Regards,
21
22 Boris.
23
24 > - Grant
31 $ ruby -e'puts " .:@BFegiklnorst".unpack("x4ax7aaX6ax5aX15ax4aax6aaX7ax2 \
32 aX5aX8axaX3ax8aX4ax6aX3aX6ax3ax3aX9ax4ax2aX9axaX6ax3aX2ax4 \
33 ax3aX4aXaX12ax10aaX7a").join'