From: "Björn Fischer" <bf@×××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Rootless X without elogind
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:05:41
1 Hi folks,
2
3 on my laptops and other private computers I normally just login on the
4 virtual console and "startx" or "xinit" -- no fancy stuff like display
5 managers.
6
7 Recently I switched to rootless X (finally, after gentoo dropped "suid"
8 by default on Xorg long ago). But I did not want to bloat my system with
9 elogind (not to mention systemd), so I came up with a much less complex
10 solution:
11
12 I created a small PAM module "pam_tty.so", which simply chowns the
13 corresponding /dev/ttyN on a successful login on a virtual console. All
14 other privileges can be granted by Unix groups. So yes, rootless X
15 without elogind is possible.
16
17 pam_tty.so is available on github:
18