From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] drive configuration changes on reboot; blkid.tab defeats UUIDs
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 19:57:15
1 I had cause to reboot my gentoo box this morning, and it was an
2 unexpected disaster.
3 For some reason, my two PCI-X SATA controllers decided to switch
4 places in the /dev/sd* lists.
5 My /etc/fstab had explicit drive paths hard-coded, and they tried to
6 mount stuff that
7 didn't exist, and naturally failed. I wound up in a root shell under
8 instructions to clean this
9 up.
10
11 I decided to go with UUIDs in /etc/fstab. After a half-hour or so
12 pfutzing around with these
13 (how do you find the UUID of an unmounted partition when you're not
14 even really sure
15 what kind of filesystem it has), I got everything to mount with "mount
16 -a", and I rebooted.
17
18 The drives had changed names again, the sort of thing that UUIDs were
19 designed to
20 deal with, but the mount command was stubbornly using the old names.
21 Bootup failed and
22 I was back in a root shell. Thank goodness my root directory is still
23 on an HDA drive.
24 But where did these names come from -- they weren't in /etc/fstab any
25 more. I did a system
26 call trace on mount(1) to find out.
27
28 There's a file I never heard of or noticed before: /etc/blkid.tab, and
29 a backup, that seem to
30 override the UUIDs, putting us back in the world we were in before
31 Labels and UUIDs.
32
33 Grrrr.
34
35 I can get a good boot if I rm blkid.tab and its backup before I shut down.
36
37 So:
38
39 1) Can I disable blkid.tab? In the presence of UUIDs this seems sensible.
40 2) Does anyone know if labels are also defeated? I don't feel like
41 rebooting any more
42 today just to find out.
43 3) Can we just stop this madness somehow?
44
45 ++ kevin
48 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
49 --