From: THUFIR HAWAT <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] telnet localhost
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:32:07
1 On 3/27/06, Dirk Heinrichs <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com> wrote:
2 ...
3 > Well, it seems leafnote is either _not_ up and running or not
4 > listening for
5 > connections on network interface lo.
6
7 Pardon, I'm not understanding what you mean by network interface.
8
9 > > thufir@localhost ~ $ telnet localhost
10 > > Trying 127.0.0.1...
11 > > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
12 >
13 > dito for telnetd.
14 >
15 > > thufir@localhost ~ $ telnet vcn.bc.ca
16 > > Trying 207.102.64.2...
17 > > Connected to vcn.bc.ca.
18 >
19 > vcn.bc.ca == localhost??
20
21 Ah, I should've explained. vcn.bc.ca =/= locahost, that's just a
22 random place to which it's possible to telnet. I was just
23 demonstrating that the telnet client was working properly, that's all
24 :)
25
26 > > Why can I not telnet to my own localhost?
27 >
28 > Because the services you want to connect to are not available.
29 >
30 > HTH...
31 ...
32
33 Yes, it does, thank you. How do I find out why they're not available, though?
36 -Thufir
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list