From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The X11-trap: Once back on textconsole...and no one comes back ever...
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 05:01:05
1 Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [16-01-16 03:36]:
3 >>
4 >> I ran into something like this a while back. I see other replies but
5 >> didn't see where anyone posted what I figured out. Usually, it's
6 >> ctrl-alt-F7 to get back but for some odd reason, mine ended up on F8.
7 >> Later on, maybe after a reboot or something, it was back on F7 like it
8 >> should be but for a while there, it was on F8.
9 >>
10 >> Based on other replies, you may have a different issue but thought it
11 >> worth a mention. Just in case it would help. ;-)
12 >>
13 >> Dale
14 >>
15 >> :-) :-)
16 >>
17 > Hi Dale,
18 >
19 > thanks for the info...
20 > As I first get locked out I panically pressed all permutations
21 > of ALT and CTRL and the F(x)-keys...
22 > Yes I am sure...there is no way out with key pressing only ;)
23 >
24 > Yesterday I did some experimenting:
25 > I remotely logged into my Linux via my tablet and then my Gentoo
26 > into the text console and then back to X11 -- which locked the
27 > whole thing as exspected.
28 > Then I used my tablet to kill slim and X11 and restarted it.
29 > Nothing...the lock was perfect.
30 >
31 > On the other side: The kernel itsself did not lock or only
32 > hangs in a certain part (is that possible?), since everything
33 > console based works fine even after the Gentoo box was locked.
34 >
35 > Finally I had to reboot via my tablet and I got my userland
36 > back...
37 >
38 > Best regards,
39 > Meino
43 I thought it worth a mention, just in case. I didn't see it mentioned
44 and was hopeful that it may shed some light. It appears to have
45 eliminated one solution, which also sometimes helps figure out the
46 problem. Now you know it didn't just move over somehow but is really
47 locked.
48
49 I'm going to try not to get mad when I mention this. Some old timers
50 may recall my experience with hal. It would lock my computer to the
51 point that even the reset button on the puter case wouldn't work. I
52 literally had to unplug the puter to reset it. Nothing keyboard wise
53 would work. It is the only time I have ever ran into such a issue.
54 Needless to say, I was not happy. It was much worse than that but let's
55 leave it there. ;-) So, the kernel can lock up and do some weird
56 things. Oh, the alt-sysreq keys wouldn't work either. I saved that
57 reset button for what I thought would be a last resort.
58
59 Well, check off one more solution, even tho it was grasping at straws.
60 lol
61
62 Dale
63
65
66 P. S. I mentioned hal and my blood pressure is OK. Whew!!!