From: "Пермяков Евгений" <permeakra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing gentoo (multiple OS)
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 08:08:12
1 On 12/01/11 07:24, srini srini wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I need some advise here as I am trying to install gentoo along with
5 > different other OS'es including windows.
6 > As I am new to this field I would need some guidance as to ho to go
7 > about and to know the subtleties between LILO and GRUB.
8 >
9 > Can anyone help me about this.
10 >
11 > TIA
12 > --SR--
13 To get a good answer, you have to provide disk configuration.
14
15 The easiest way is and always was to install different OS'es on
16 different hard drives, and selecting media to boot with BIOS popup menu.
17 In addition, if default drive to boot has grub1 installed, it is rather
18 trivial to 'chainload' , i.e. to add entries in menu that invokes
19 bootloaders on other hard drives. In case you cannot accept such setup,
20 you have to do the same within single hard drive. There are several
21 problems this way, including : windows can be confused with some
22 partition schemes (strange enough, it sometimes can see only one primary
23 partition even if there are many) and windows always install it's
24 bootloader in master boot record, so you have to reboot into linux from
25 CD to restore your grub.
26
27 There is, however, another good setup for many cases: use virtualbox,
28 xen or other virtualisation software. With it you avoid headache of
29 messing with bootloaders and can easily wipe unneded installations.
30
31 As for me, I prefer grub1 for now as it is very easy to config, when
32 lilo is obsolete, though still in use and grub2 is very hard to setup.