From: James Tanis <jtanis@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:40:56
1 On Mon, July 11, 2005 8:14 am, Bruno Gola said:
2 > Charles Oertel wrote:
3 >
4 >> Bruno Gola wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Can't open /dev/dsp!
7 >>>
8 >>> If i try it as root it works perfectly...
9 >>>
10 >>> Does anyone knows this problem?
13 >> Permissions on /dev/dsp
14 >>
15 >> Either set /dev/dsp to be 666, or (better), add audio to your group.
16 >>
17 >> regards
18 >> --
19 >> Charles Oertel
20 >> FineBushPeople.net
21 >> tel: 021 701 8231
22 >> fax: 021 701 3338
23 >
24 > The first thing that i've tried was that... permission... but no
25 > success... (im in audio group already)...
28 > Anyway, thanks the reply... :D
29
30 Check /dev/sound/dsp for the correct permission. On my machine /dev/dsp
31 was a symlink of /dev/sound/dsp and even though the symlink's permissions
32 were correct the permissions of the file it was linked to were not. For me
33 at least, adding yourself to audio wouldn't work as the files (well,
34 /dev/dsp at least) looked to be owned by root:root. I just had this
35 problem and doing a chmod o+rw /dev/sound/dsp solved it (I actually did
36 /dev/sound/* just in case).
39 James Tanis
40 jtanis@×××××××.org
41 http://pycoder.org