From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] broken seamonkey :(
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2015 13:07:08
1 Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Saturday, September 05, 2015 1:05:06 AM lee wrote:
4 >> >>
5 >> >> It doesn't work. I've imported the certificate now at home, and no
6 >> >> matter what trust I set or whatever I do, I cannot connect, and I cannot
7 >> >> add an exception.
8 >>
9 >> I can (have to) do with seamonkey 2.30 at work and mutt at home. This
10 >> isn't a long-term solution because it forbids updating the web browser
11 >> and email clients for everyone at work ever since.
12 >>
13 >> Is this a bug of seamonkey? I could make a bug report in that case.
14 >
15 > Adding the CA certificate and ticking all trust options does work but it seems
16 > not all self-signed certs have one.
17
18 It worked at work and didn't work at home. It's weird.
19
20 > If when you run openssl s_client -connect
21 > host:443 -showcerts it list more than one cert then you want to import the
22 > last under authorities.
23
24 As far as I can tell, it shows only one certificate. When I import it,
25 it shows up correctly.
26
27 > You can try backing up and deleting your profile directory, if it works with a
28 > new one either go through all the ssl about:config settings and compare them or
29 > just start over with new settings and import bookmarks, etc. If you both have
30 > the same version then it must not be a change or bug.
31
32 It's not that. I've tried it at work with a seamonkey on a windoze 7 VM
33 with a seamonkey that had only been used for web browsing and for which
34 I haven't changed any settings that could be even remotely related to
35 this.
36
37 The inability to add an exception is consistent over at least 5 totally
38 different machines, Linux and windoze, with at least seamonkey and
39 thunderbird. On at least two of these machines, older versions like
40 seamonkey 2.30, simply let me add an exception while newer versions
41 don't. Update seamonkey on the terminal server, create a new user, try
42 to set up seamonkey so that they can access their email, and you cannot
43 add an exception. You have to revert to 2.30, add the exception, and
44 then you can go back to 2.33.1 and it works because the exception was
45 added.
46
47 So this must either be a bug of seamonkey and its relatives, or a
48 default setting that has changed with newer versions, or something needs
49 to be done with all(!) self-signed certificates, or adding exceptions
50 has been disabled intentionally, which would require another way to do
51 it because they cannot expect everyone to somehow change their perfectly
52 fine certificates or to buy signed ones.
56 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
57 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.