From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 01:50:15
1 OK. The Chief Idiot is going to experiment some. You ALL know what
2 this means right? Yep, I'm about to really make a mess of things so
3 here comes some questions. This is a result of the /usr and udev crap.
4 So, go to -dev and blame them, not me. ;-)
5
6 OK. I have three drives in my rig. One is for data files, mounted on
7 /data ironically, and has nothing to do with the OS. So, for that
8 reason I'm going to leave it out of this. So, I now have two drives in
9 my rig that are about to be OS related. sda is a 160Gb and sdb is a
10 250Gb. I'm going to leave the first one, sda, as is and will use sdb
11 for testing. Before I start, I want to sort of get my brain wrapped
12 back around this. It has been a LONG time since I dual booted Linux and
13 that was only for a month or so. I have grub installed on the MBR of
14 sda. My boot partition is on sda1 like most likely 99% of the rest of
15 you and it will stay there even after all this is done. I got /boot
16 from the old handbook days. When I put my new install on sdb, with this
17 new initramfs thingy and quite possibly LVM, do I leave grub on sda's
18 MBR and just point to sdb for the kernel and init thingy and all will be
19 well?
20
21 If this all works out, I will be moving everything from sdb to sda
22 anyway. My plan is to get them both bootable, then use one to copy to
23 another after I have learned a bit about this mess. I haven't got that
24 far yet but wanting to figure this init thingy out before I'm forced to
25 which will only make it taste even worse.
26
27 What I am reading so far:
28
29 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
30
31 I did a google search and found some others boot this is more Gentoo
32 oriented. So, anything wrong with this as a guide? Pointers to others
33 if they are better would be great.
34
35 Here starts a learning process. It could get bumpy. lol
36
37 Dale
38