From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Running gentoo ~amd64 as a virtualbox guest
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 23:35:50
1 I have a persistent problem (described below) with my ~amd64 guest
2 machine and I can't figure it out.
3
4 I run all the major linux distros as virtualbox guests so I can keep
5 track of what's happening on planet non-gentoo, but only the ~amd64
6 gentoo guest machine is having this problem:
7
8 When I start an X session in the gentoo guest machine, the 3D video
9 acceleration is emulated with the "Software Rasterizer" function of
10 mesa, as shown below:
11
12 # glxinfo | grep renderer
13 OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
14
15 The problem is that "Software Rasterizer" is so slow and inefficient
16 that the gnome3 shell specifically tests for it and refuses to start
17 if it's found.
18
19 Other guest linux distros report the "Chromium" rasterizer or maybe
20 the "llvmpipe" rasterizer, both of which are fast enough to satisfy
21 the gnome3 shell.
22
23 So, could the problem be caused by the vbox package on my gentoo host
24 machines? I don't know, but I can propose a test:
25
26 I know some of you have access to (real) machines that run non-gentoo
27 distros (I'm too lazy to install a non-gentoo distro on my real boxes
28 just to debug this silly problem) and so I thought maybe you could try
29 the same test and report back your results :)
30
31 Thanks!