From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT Best way to compress files with digits
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 20:18:51
1 > On Nov 1, 2014, at 19:26, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On 01/11/2014 19:15, James wrote:
4 >> <meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
7 >>> I have a lot of files with digits of PI. The digits
8 >>> are the characters of 0-9. Currently they are ZIPped,
9 >>> which I think is not the best way to do that.
10 >>
11 >> Hello Meino,
12 >>
13 >> It's a bit of effort, but the world's recognized authority
14 >> on algorithms is Don Knuth. [1] He's old now, but his
15 >> pioneering attempt at categorizing most algorithms:
16 >> "The art of computer programming" and his MMIX alogrithm
17 >> implementations (kinda like assembler) are certainly
18 >> part of many first-step research efforts on algorithms
19 >> and their implementations.
20 >>
21 >> It's not a cookbook; more of a scholarly (high_brow) reference,
22 >> just to supplement all the good postings by your peers on gentoo user.
23 >>
24 >> Alan may loan you his copy?
25 >> (ha ha ha)?
29 >> hth,
30 >> James
31 >>
32 >> [1] http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/
35 > ha ha, fat chance :-)
36 >
37 > When Alan does eventually get his hands on his very own personal
38 > copy[1], it will be lent to nobody. There are just some things a man
39 > never lends out: his bike, his firearm, his wife. And Knuth :-)
40
41 Why not lend your wife? ;)
42
43 > Back on topic: You're 100% right - to learn about algorithms in general,
44 > Knuth is the man. Essential reading for anyone taking CS seriously
45 >
46 > --
47 > Alan McKinnon
48 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com