From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Calm
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 19:22:57
1 On 16/04/2016 16:48, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > I'm just saying hello to confirm I'm still here.
5 >
6 > For many months now, Gentoo has simply worked for me, without problems.
7 > I sync my system several times a week, and emerge just works.
8 >
9 > The last bit of excitement I had was in early 2015 when I was trying to
10 > sort out the mess in my xfce4 system after gnome-3 had been made stable.
11 > In the end, I gave up and reinstalled Gentoo, which this time took me
12 > only a week.
13 >
14 > Admittedly, there's very little which is cutting edge on my system - the
15 > box is 6½ years old, it boots with lilo on an old fashioned BIOS, my
16 > filesystems are ext3 (or in one case, ext2) on spinning rust. The only
17 > remotely adventurous things I've got are RAID-1 (via the kernel) and
18 > lvm2.
19 >
20 > So a big thanks to all the developers who've brought about this happy
21 > state of affairs!
25 Awesome name you got there fella :-)
26
27 My Gentoo experience is much the same as yours although we live and work
28 in very different worlds. My stuff seems to JustWork(tm) almost always
29 even though I use ~arch everywhere except one 10-year old desktop (it's
30 old and slow so I keep it on arch to minimize emerge times).
31
32 I've only once had a problem I couldn't work my way out of, the
33 above-mentioned desktop has an IDE motherboard and the drive slowly got
34 worse without me noticing till one day it packed up. New, drive
35 reinstall. But with an /etc/ backup it was really just a little more
36 work than emerge -e world.
37
38 So yes, huge kudos to the gentoo devs for giving us these tools to make
39 all of that possible!
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com