From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] utf fonts not working right
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 23:37:17
1 On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 02:03:50PM -0800, Penguin Lover smallnow squawked:
2 > http://www.openmobilefree.net/index.php?entry=entry090125-211840
3 >
4 > This page works fine on default fonts of other distros. For me, its got blocks
5 > for all the asian characters.
6 >
7 > I've been through the gentoo documentation utf guide. I'm using deja-vu font in
8 > firefox, although it seems to be the same on some other random fonts i've tried.
9 >
10 > The utf-8 guide says to enable cjk use flag but that seems to be deprecated
11 > since equery says its only used by 4 packages, none of which I have installed.
12 >
13 > Why does gentoo not default to utf-8 support?
14
15 The page you list is encoding in GB2312, Simplified Chinese.
16
17 Your problem, however, is that you don't have the right fonts. Deja-Vu
18 fonts do not support east asian scripts. (See their website for more
19 detail.)
20
21 I suggest media-fonts/unifont, which has all Unicode characters, or
22 media-fonts/wqy-bitmapfonts or media-fonts/arphicfonts which supports
23 Chinese, Japanese, and Korean ideographs.
24
25 Hope this helps,
26
27 W
28 --
29 ...for God's sake look at some real data. That's how Maria Meyer was
30 able to solve this question that eluded Heisenberg and them all, who
31 thought they were all so smart. Thank God the German had him as the
32 head of the nuclear program. Had they actually have someone competent,
33 they might have built the bomb.
34 ~Prof. Will Happer shelling out some Heisenberg dissing. 11-26-02
35 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 783 days, 22:10