From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] A little help for non-native English speakers
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2018 18:31:06
1 On 2018-02-01, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Well, as long as we're explaining grammar, I'll elaborate a tiny bit
4 > more since a lot of people (including native English speakers) get
5 > these wrong.
6 >
7 > e.g is used when giving one example when many could have used.
8
9 You also use e.g. when giving multiple examples. To quote Grammar Girl.
10
11 "I like card games, e.g. bridge and crazy eights.
12
13 > An example: "Some people in life suffer misfortunes, e.g. having a
14 > meteor land on their house." This is just one example of a
15 > misfortune somebody could suffer, and there are many other unstated
16 > misfortunes.
17
18 "Some people in life suffer misfortunes, e.g. fire, flood,
19 earthquake or a meteor strike."
22 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm young ... I'm
23 at HEALTHY ... I can HIKE
24 gmail.com THRU CAPT GROGAN'S LUMBAR
25 REGIONS!