From: Hunter Jozwiak <hunter.t.joz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Loading a Firmware Module By hand?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 05:34:24
Hi,

I have an ath10k_pci device that I'm trying to get hooked to the
Internet, but I'm having some strange issues. It is trying to load the
2.1 firmware, but I don't think that is the proper firmware for the
interface to have; I think it ought to be loading the 3.0 module, but
am not quite sure on that either, or how I could go about injecting
that into the modprobe; I wasn't able to pinpoint the firmware blob
the ISO was using, so that wasn't much of a pointer in the right
direction either. I see that the 3.0 blob does exist in
/lib/firmware/ath10k/QCABLEFAGD/HW3.0, but there are many bin files,
so choosing the right one is a bit tricky by the looks of things.
Earlier today, I had read the Gentoo wiki on the topic, which
suggested that I compile the blob into the kernel itself, but the link
they gave only described the advantages and disadvantages of modular
kernels and how to drop kmod if you're using a moduleless kernel. Does
anybody have any insight on this matter?

Thanks,

Hunter