From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] -Os = Nono?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 23:11:03
1 On Montag, 23. Juli 2007, Kenneth Prugh wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Montag, 23. Juli 2007, Alexander Skwar wrote:
4 > >> Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5 > >>> And then Os. That is a big nono.
6 > >>
7 > >> Why's that?
8 > >>
9 > >> Alexander Skwar
10 > >
11 > > because several gcc have compiled crap with that flag in the past?
12 >
13 > That was the past, -Os generally works fine on AMD64 now. That can be
14 > evidenced by my fully -Os built system that works fine.
15
16 no, it does not 'works fine'.
17
18 a) grep -R Os /usr/portage and have an unpleasant surprise.
19
20 b) I compiled a couple of stuff with Os and the result: picture resizing and
21 browsing with kuickshow and gwenview was a lot slower.
22
23 The only thing I compile with Os is the kernel - after I played a lot of
24 ut2004 to make sure that it is not slower...
25 --
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list