From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A new AMD CPU weakness?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 02:15:33
1 Here is a non-shortened link.
2 https://it.slashdot.org/story/18/03/13/1558221/researchers-find-critical-vulnerabilities-in-amds-ryzen-and-epyc-processors-but-they-gave-the-chipmaker-only-24-hours-before-making-the-findings-public
3
4 All the more reason to avoid the ME/PSP garbage and instead buy the
5 equivalently priced, owner controlled and higher performance OpenPOWER
6 arch systems such as the libre firmware TALOS 2.
7
8 Pretty much someone found a bug in AMD's version of ME which *how
9 terrible* in other words you can use this to defeat hollywoods AMD PSP
10 DRM which is the true reason of existence for ME/PSP, to prevent people
11 from owning and controlling their devices.
12
13 I can't believe the new normal is not being able to really buy a
14 mainstream computer because you don't own it and everyone in the tech
15 press and so called experts says its a good thing, oh it is to "keep you
16 safe from hackers" and they pretend like it has always been this way as
17 if it wasn't just a recent change that for some reason all the major
18 OEM's did at the exact same time....I wonder why.
19
20 "The corporate sector asked for this" - MYTH - They already had it, it
21 is a BMC/LOM chip and it was owner controlled. I doubt any company with
22 IP worth something wants a super insecure black box supervisor processor
23 that they don't control on every computer of theirs.
26 If you need secure remote management you can use OpenBMC which is
27 present on the TALOS 2 (IBM OpenBMC) and also the KCMA-D8 and KGPE-D16
28 pre-PSP x86 boards (you can replace the crappy non-free ASUS firmware on
29 the ASMB module with the facebook version of OpenBMC which was recently
30 ported to it via crowdfunding)