From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The difference between 'emerge --update xyz' and 'emerge xyz'
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 03:54:21
1 On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 22:26, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Am 28.03.2011 16:50, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
4 > > Hello list!
5 > >
6 > > Please bear awhile with the Gento n00b here...
7 > >
8 > > If I have a package 'xyz-1.1.0' already installed, and there's a newer
9 > > 'xyz-1.2.0', what's the difference between 'emerge --update xyz' and
10 > > 'emerge xyz'?
11 > >
12 > > The latter I saw also pulled in and installed the latest version. So,
13 > > I am confused as to the difference.
14 > >
15 > > Thank you for your explanation.
16 > >
17 > > Rgds,
21 > A simple `emerge xyz` re-emerges xyz even if no update is necessary.
22 >
23 > Additionally, it adds the package xyz to your @world set. That is a list
24 > of packages that you want to keep. If xyz has been installed only
25 > because it is a dependency of another package and it is not part of
26 > @world, `emerge --depclean` would uninstall the package when it is no
27 > longer needed.
28 >
29 > As an example:
30 > Lets say, you install gnome-base/gnome. This will pull in all kinds of
31 > packages (the whole Gnome desktop environment). Now you decide to remove
32 > gnome. Then you can call `emerge --depclean gnome` to remove gnome
33 > itself and then `emerge --depclean` to get rid of everything else that
34 > is no longer needed.
35 >
36 > If you want to re-emerge a package no matter if there is an update or
37 > not but you do not want to add it to your @world set, call `emerge
38 > --oneshot xyz` or shorter: `emerge -1 xyz`. For example, this is
39 > necessary if xyz is a kernel module and you just installed ner kernel
40 > sources.
41 >
42 > A few notes:
43 > Your @world set is contained in /var/lib/portage/world. You can edit
44 > this file directly to remove or add packages.
45 >
46 > `emerge --depclean <package>` only removes the package if it is no
47 > longer needed by other packages. This is safer than calling `emerge
48 > --clean <package>`.
49 >
50 > Do not call `emerge --depclean` on its own. Call `emerge --ask --verbose
51 > --depclean` or shorter `emerge -avc`. Check all packages to make sure
52 > you do not remove anything you still need, for example portage itself.
53 >
54 > If you call `emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean <package>` (short:
55 > `emerge -pvc <package>`), portage will print a list of packages that
56 > depend on the package you gave as a parameter. This is more accurate
57 > than for example `equery depends <package>`.
58 >
59 > Hope this helps,
60 > Florian Philipp
63 Thanks! Very clear explanation, and very helpful!
64
65 Rgds,
66 --
67 Pandu E Poluan