From: Mrugesh Karnik <mrugeshkarnik@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] some i/o errors are making my portage useless!
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:07:09
1 >> I think hard drive failure is a possibility, although it's kind of
2 >> funny that the failure should be limited to just that /usr partition!
3 >> Or does that happen sometimes? I'll try badblocks and see what I get.
4
5 My dear fellow, I speak from experience. Just last month a hard disk
6 (IDE) of mine died after giving out io errors first on the logical
7 volume that hosted my /usr/portage. Then my entire volume group started
8 giving the same errors and the next thing I know, the drive is dead!
9
10 Thinking about it though, is it just a mere coincidance that the errors
11 started with /usr/portage?
12 --
13 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list