From: Tom Smith <tom71713-gentoo52478932@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tar over ssh
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:31:00
1 John Jolet wrote:
4 > On Jan 24, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Tom Smith wrote:
5 >
6 >> John Jolet wrote:
7 >>
8 >>>
9 >>> On Jan 24, 2006, at 11:20 AM, Tom Smith wrote:
10 >>>
11 >>>> Jeff wrote:
12 >>>>
13 >>>>> Hey guys.
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> I've got this big fat backup server with no space left on the hard
16 >>>>> drive
17 >>>>> to store a tar file. I'd like to pipe a tar through ssh, but not
18 >>>>> sure
19 >>>>> what the command would be. Something to the effect of:
20 >>>>>
21 >>>>> # cat /var/backup | ssh backup.homelan.com 'tar data.info.gz'
22 >>>>>
23 >>>>> So that, the data is actually being sent over ssh, and then
24 >>>>> archived on
25 >>>>> the destination machine.
26 >>>>>
27 >>>>> Help!
28 >>>>>
29 >>>>> :-)
30 >>>>>
31 >>>>>
32 >>>> Not possible. What you want is more along the lines of AFS, NFS,
33 >>>> SMB, or
34 >>>> the like.
35 >>>>
36 >>>
37 >>> WRONG. I do it all the time.
40 >> Ok,. my bad. (Open mouth, insert foot. :-D )
41 >>
42 >> Being a *nix junkie, I tend to do some things old school--that is,
43 >> there
44 >> are specific tools that are (dare I say) more specialized to such a
45 >> task. You know... SSH = Secure SHell, SCP = Secure CoPy, SFTP = Secure
46 >> FTP... So I had never really looked into using the "ssh" program for
47 >> copying files between servers--it's always been more of a telnet-like
48 >> application for me.
49 >>
50 > hmmm, old school, eh? I was doing that tar trick about 10 or 11
51 > years ago.
52 > you HAVE to do that if you have no room to complete the tar file on
53 > the source, THEN transfer it. it's quicker than scping a lot of
54 > files and then tarring them up on the destination, especially if THAT
55 > doesn't have room for both the source files and the tar. I did
56 > extensive performance testing for database migrations about 5 years
57 > ago and what I said was by far the most efficient, timewise (though,
58 > I didn't simply redirect to a file, but dd of=filename)
59
60 Well, perhaps "old school" has different meanings to different people.
61 :-) I was referring to the UNIX "tools" philosophy in which each program
62 has a very specific use, similar to qmail (the original, unmodified
63 qmail, that is). And this is usually the direction I take when looking
64 for "tools" to accomplish some task. But I suppose this philosophy
65 doesn't really apply quite as much nowadays.
66
67 I must say, though, I've always managed to anticipate the storage needs
68 of my servers so running low on or (even worse) running out of disk
69 space has never been a problem. So I've never had to research such
70 "tricks" to get things to work within those types of constraints. Call
71 me quirky, but that's part of being a sysadmin... Yes? ;-)
72 --
73 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list