From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ImageMagick
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 00:09:56
1 Colleen Beamer wrote:
4 > Oh, yes, it was! :-) There used to be a command in /usr/bin named
5 > imagemagick and if you launched it, it brought up an interface with
6 > menus/buttons that you could click on. Granted, I haven't used it in
7 > quite a while. However, I used to use it all the time to scale
8 > graphics when I was writing the handbook for krecipes and convert
9 > images from jpeg to png.
10 >
11 > Regards,
12 >
13 > Colleen
17 I searched for that command, I can't find it or any reference to it
18 having any GUI at all. According to the wiki:
19
20 "The software mainly consists of a number of command-line interface
21 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_interface> utilities for
22 manipulating images. ImageMagick does *not* have a GUI
23 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface>-based interface
24 to edit images, as do Adobe Photoshop
25 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop> and GIMP
26 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP>, but instead modifies existing
27 images as directed by various command-line parameters. "
28
29 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMagick
30
31 I also can't find anything on their website about a GUI either. There
32 are front ends to it tho. This from the imagemagick website:
33
34 "The functionality of ImageMagick is typically utilized from the command
35 line or you can use the features from programs written in your favorite
36 language. Choose from these interfaces: G2F
37 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#ada> (Ada), MagickCore
38 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#c> (C), MagickWand
39 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#c> (C), ChMagick
40 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#ch> (Ch), ImageMagickObject
41 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#com_> (COM+), Magick++
42 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#c__> (C++), JMagick
43 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#java> (Java), L-Magick
44 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#lisp> (Lisp), NMagick
45 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#neko> (Neko/haXe), MagickNet
46 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#dot-net> (.NET), PascalMagick
47 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#pascal> (Pascal), PerlMagick
48 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#perl> (Perl), MagickWand for
49 PHP <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#php> (PHP), IMagick
50 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#php> (PHP), PythonMagick
51 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#python> (Python), RMagick
52 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#ruby> (Ruby), or TclMagick
53 <http://www.imagemagick.org/script/api.php#tcl> (Tcl/TK). With a
54 language interface, use ImageMagick to modify or create images
55 dynamically and /automagically/."
56
57 I'm not sure if any of those are GUI tho.
58
59 Maybe whatever distro you were using sort of played a name game with the
60 command? The command was named imagemagick but was actually pointing to
61 something else that had a GUI and was a front end for it.
62
63 Krecipe huh? Installing it now. I like to cook and eat. lol
64
65 Dale
66
70 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!